Giant donut cake
Yield 8-10 servings
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cold
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons half-and-half or milk
- 2-3 drops pink food coloring
- 2 tablespoons sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch ring mold pan (not a Bundt pan).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Grate the cold butter into the bowl, and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the sour cream and vanilla in a small bowl, and add about half of this mixture to the flour mixture. Beat until well blended and smooth. Add the other half of the sour cream mixture, and beat until smooth.
- Gently fold in the sprinkles.
- Pour the batter into the ring mold pan, and spread into an even layer.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown on top, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for a few minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter and powdered sugar.
- Add enough half-and-half to make a thick glaze. It should be about the consistency of syrup.
- Spoon the glaze over the top of the cooled cake, allowing it to run down the sides.
- Add the sprinkles on top.
- Slice and serve.
Recipe by Thanksgiving.com at http://staging.thanksgiving.com/celebrations/giant-donut-cake/