Yield 8-10 servings
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting the baking sheet
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on the towel)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, to garnish
- Cake: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a 15x10-inch baking sheet, a jelly roll pan, with nonstick cooking spray. Line with a fitted piece of parchment paper and spray the pan and parchment. Generously dust the baking sheet with flour and tap out the excess.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the eggs and granulated sugar and beat on medium until thick. Pour in the pumpkin puree and blend on medium until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and continue to blend on low until well-combined.
- Using a spatula, spread the pumpkin mixture evenly onto the prepared jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until the top of the cake springs back when gently pressed with a finger.
- Filling: While the cake is baking, make the cream cheese filling. In a large mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, remaining powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla. Use an electric handheld mixer to beat the ingredients until they are creamy and smooth.
- Assembly: Spread a thin kitchen towel out flat on clean surface. Sprinkle the towel with powdered sugar.
- Immediately loosen the cake from the baking sheet and turn it out onto the prepared kitchen towel.
- Carefully peel the paper from the cake. Carefully roll up the cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool the cake on a wire rack.
- Carefully unroll cake, keeping the towel underneath the cake. Evenly spread the cream cheese filling over the cake all the way to the edges. Gently reroll the cake, taking care to not press the filling out of the ends. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Sprinkle the cake with additional powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
- Slice crosswise and serve.
Recipe by Thanksgiving.com at http://staging.thanksgiving.com/celebrate/thanksgiving/traditional-simple-and-sweet-this-pumpkin-roll-with-cream-cheese-filling-screams-fall-and-the-holidays/