Guiness Beer boba
- 1-1/2 cup Guinness beer
- 4 grams agar-agar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- Bowl of cool water
- Slotted spoon
- Eye dropper or something similar
- Optional: Baileys Irish Cream
- Fill a tall, clear container with vegetable oil.
- Chill the vegetable oil in the freezer for 30 minutes so it’s cold but not frozen.
- While the oil chills, poor 3/4 cup beer into a small saucepan.
- Sprinkle 4 grams agar-agar over the top of the beer. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, continuing to stir occasionally.
- Once the mixture begins to simmer, add 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Continue to stir while the mixture simmers for about 2 minutes -- just enough that it starts to thicken.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool just slightly before adding the remaining 3/4 cup beer.
- Collect your vegetable oil from the freezer.
- Fill the eye dropper with the agar-agar mixture. Drop agar-agar mixture into the vegetable oil, allowing the drops to fall in different places throughout the glass. Continue filling the eye dropper and dropping the liquid into the vegetable oil.
- Use the slotted spoon to collect your Guinness Beer boba. Drop the boba into cool water and give it a gentle stir to help wash away the excess oil.
- Using the slotted spoon again (or a fine strainer), strain the beer boba from the water.
- Serve in shot glasses with Baileys Irish Cream or on its own in martini glasses.
Recipe by Thanksgiving.com at http://staging.thanksgiving.com/celebrate/st-patricks-day/guinness-beer-boba/