Mummy pumpkin cookies
Yield 9 cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter cut into cubes and chilled
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons ice water
Alternately, you can use one package refrigerated pie crust (two crusts)
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 ounces cream cheese, slightly softened
- 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 egg white-lightly beaten, mixed with 1/2 teaspoon water
- In a food processor, combine flour, salt and sugar. Pulse a couple of times to mix well.
- Add butter and pulse until look like a coarse meal. Be careful not to over mix.
- Add chilled water 1-2 tablespoon at the time and pulse several times. If it doesn’t come together in clumps add remaining water.
- Gather dough onto working surface, divide into two portions, shape each into 5-inch disk, cover with plastic wrap and chill one hour.
- Place pumpkin puree on several layers of paper towel, wrap and press to soak to reduce moisture. Use remaining pumpkin as the puree.
- In a bowl, stir together cream cheese, granulated sugar and brown sugar until blended.
- Add reduced pumpkin puree to cream cheese mixture along with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice.
- Mix in egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- Cover bowl and chill until ready to assemble the cookies.
- Combine melted butter, cinnamon and two teaspoons sugar and mix well. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Roll out first disk of the dough onto a floured surface to about 13 x 11-inch rectangle. If the edges start to crack a little when rolling, seal them and continue rolling. Trim edges to get straight edges, then cut into nine 4×3-inch rectangles. You can make them smaller or larger according to your preference.
- Roll out second dough disc and cut into 1/2 inch stripes.
- Arrange the rectangles with ample spacing on prepared baking sheet and spread heaping 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons of pumpkin pie filling onto each rectangle, leaving rim on all sides uncoated.
- Brush uncoated edges with the egg wash.
- Top with strips to create mummy look, then seal edges with your fingertips, and trim the excess of the strips.
- Brush the stripes with egg wash and sprinkle with mixture of two tablespoons sugar and one teaspoon cinnamon.
- Bake until golden brown about 20 minutes.
- Stick candy eyes onto cooled mummies.
Recipe by Thanksgiving.com at http://staging.thanksgiving.com/celebrate/halloween/mummy-pumpkin-cookies/