Vegan chocolate spiced cupcakes with avocado frosting
- 1 ripe avocado, medium-sized*
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons maple vinegar (white vinegar works, too)
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder (ancho chili powder can be a substitute)
- 1 ripe avocado, medium-sized
- 3 cups powdered sugar
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, whisk dry ingredients.
- With hand or stand mixer, cream avocado (like you would butter).
- Add sugar, cream until smooth.
- Stir in water and vinegar until completely combined with avocado mixture.
- Fold in dry ingredients until incorporated.
- Fill cupcake liners with generous scoops.
- Bake for 20–23 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
To make the frosting:
- With hand or stand mixer, cream avocado until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, roughly half a cup at a time, until fully incorporated and peaks form.
- Place in piping bag (or Ziploc bag) and keep it refrigerated until you’re ready to start piping.
Recipe by Thanksgiving.com at http://staging.thanksgiving.com/celebrate/cinco-de-mayo/vegan-chocolate-spiced-cupcakes-with-avocado-frosting/