Baked Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 cup milk, warm
- 2 1/4 tsp (1 package) dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 gala apples
- 3 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- Add the yeast and warm milk to a mixing bowl and let stand for 7 minutes to proof.
- Add 1/4 cup melted butter (reserving 1/4 cup for later), salt, granulated sugar and eggs and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Slowly add the flour 1 cup at a time, and continue to mix on medium speed.
- Knead by hand on a floured cutting board, or in a stand mixer with the hook attachment for 10 minutes.
- Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for 2 hours.
- In the meantime, peel, core and chop the apples and heat them in a pot with 1 tbsp water, 1 tbsp cinnamon, lemon juice, and nutmeg on low heat for 15 minutes or until soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface into a 20x15-inch rectangle.
- Pour the remaining 1/4 cup melted butter onto the dough, then sprinkle the remaining 2 tbsp cinnamon and the brown sugar on top.
- Drain the apples and pour evenly on top.
- Roll the dough from the long edge and cut into 12 pieces.
- Place each roll into a greased 13x9-inch baking pan and bake for 18 minutes.
- Combine the powdered sugar and 1 tbsp milk in a small bowl to make the glaze.
- Once cool, drizzle the glaze over the cinnamon rolls.
Recipe by Thanksgiving.com at http://staging.thanksgiving.com/celebrate/christmas/baked-apple-cinnamon-rolls/